Job Opportunity: Library Applications Developer at the Chemical Heritage Foundation
Library Applications Developer
The Chemical Heritage Foundation is seeking a full-time Library Applications Developer. The Library Applications Developer will work with CHF’s digital collections team to develop software that manages, preserves and provides access to CHF’s diverse digital assets drawn from its Library, Museum, and Center for Oral History. The Library Applications Developer will also be involved in all technical aspects related to the customization, maintenance, and deployment of the open source digital repository system Samvera (formerly Hydra, a technology stack comprising Fedora Commons, Solr, Blacklight, and Ruby on Rails). The Library Applications Developer may also write, maintain, document and troubleshoot code for customizing other open source software and applications, such as ArchivesSpace. This is an exciting opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects with a collaborative team and to contribute back to open source communities by pushing code upstream whenever possible. This position is based at our Philadelphia HQ office, but the option of working remotely is available if the ideal candidate lives outside of the geographical area.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Two to five years of professional work experience as a software developer.
- Demonstrated proficiency in a major web language such as Ruby, Python, or PHP
- Previous experience working with some of the following technologies:
- Familiarity with a variety of data exchange formats, including XML, RDF and/or JSON.
- Strong communication skills, including an ability to communicate effectively with non-specialists.
- Motivation for self-directed learning of new technologies.
- Previous work experience in a library, museum or other cultural heritage institution is a plus.
- Some experience with Samvera or a similar collection management system is a plus.
To be considered for this position, please send cover letter with salary expectations, resume/CV and contact information for 3 professional references to LibAppDev…@chemheritage.org.